My New Go-to Delicious Berry Smoothie Recipe

Hi guys, long time no write! My 2015 resolution was going to be to post more often, but I didn't even get around to writing down any resolutions, so there you go.

So far 2015 hasn't exactly gone to plan. I might update you in another post sometime soon about what has been going on over the last few months. Not the easiest end to 2014 or the best beginning to 2015 but I'm trying to be positive and look ahead.

And that's why I wanted to share my new favourite healthy recipe for a breakfast smoothie that I have been loving lately!!! I decided to use mostly frozen fruits in this smoothie, since I love the texture and flavour you get when every thing is icy cold. Having said that, I did freeze my own fresh fruits, I didn't use it from a packet.

There are 2 slightly different variations that both taste very similar and just as good as one another, but I will put the recipe for each one separately.


Smoothie #1 Makes around 3 Cups or 750mL
(I found it to be enough for breakfast for 2 people...or one person who really likes smoothies!)

1/2 to 1 whole Banana (chopped and frozen)
Small handful of frozen Blueberries
5 frozen Strawberries (chopped in half with stem removed)
5-10 frozen Blackberries
5-10 frozen Raspberries
1 small Pink Lady Apple, cored and chopped (you could use any red apple - I just like the Pink Lady variety - they are quite sweet, less tart than green apple)
6 tablespoons of Vaalia Naatural Yoghurt (not flavoured, natural - you could use any type of natural youghurt)
250mL of Cocobella Coconut Water (you could use any brand)
1 'handful' of Rolled Oats
1 tablespoon of Honey

Place all ingredients into blender of your choice. (I use a Vitamix as I find it the best for getting things blended really well - I'm sure any blender would work fine as long as it's strong enough to get through the frozen fruits. I do have a cold press juicer as well, but I haven't trued this recipe in that juicer. I'm not sure that the frozen fruits would work with a cold press juicer, and obviously you couldn't put the rolled oats through that type of juicer.)

Blend for 20-40 seconds until all combined and oats are thoroughly chopped and mixed.
Pour into your favourite glass/cup/thermos/bottle etc - Keep cold and drink straight away.

 As I believe this is best served chilled, you could use ice in this recipe if you don't have frozen fruits. (You could also half the amount of coconut water or replace it completely with ice.)

Smoothie #2 Makes around 3 Cups or 750mL 

Handful of frozen Blueberries
5 frozen Strawberries (chopped in half with stem removed)
7-10 frozen Blackberries
7-10 frozen Raspberries
6 tablespoons of Vaalia Naatural Yoghurt (not flavoured  - you could use any type of natural youghurt)
250mL of Cocobella Coconut Water - Mango Flavoured (you could use any brand)
1 'handful' of Rolled Oats
1 tablespoon of Honey

 Place all ingredients into blender of your choice.

 Blend for 20-40 seconds until all combined and oats are thoroughly chopped and mixed.

 Pour into your favourite glass/cup/thermos/bottle etc - Keep cold and drink straight away.



As you can see, both of these recipes are incredibly similar. I did like the second one slightly more than the first one. But they really do taste very similar.

I find that berries do a good job of disguising other flavours in a smoothie, so if you wanted to include some vegetables in there for the extra nutrients, I don't think it would make a huge difference to the flavour.

The only reason I used all fruit in these recipes is that I didn't have any fresh vegetables in the house at the time (we only had frozen and I've never blended frozen veggies, so I wasn't sure how that would turn out!!)

The honey definitely adds a sweetness kick. If you don't like the taste of honey or you don't want it to be too sweet I would suggest either not including the honey or at least halving the amount of honey as you can definitely tell that honey is included. I like using honey as I find the sweetness of honey a nice addition to the tart flavours of the berries and natural yoghurt.

Hope you give this a go! Enjoy!


Comments

Popular Posts